I’m an Assistant Professor at IST Austria.
Before IST, I was affiliated with ETH Zurich and Microsoft Research, Cambridge, UK. Prior to that, I was a Postdoctoral Associate at MIT CSAIL, working with Prof. Nir Shavit. I received my PhD from the EPFL, under the guidance of Prof. Rachid Guerraoui.
My research focuses on concurrent data structures and distributed algorithms, and spans from algorithms and lower bounds, to practical implementations.
You can find a list of recent projects and publications here.
For a complete publication list, click here.
For student projects, click here.
- SysML 2019, PPoPP 2019, NIPS 2018, DISC 2018, PODC 2018, ICDCS 2018, DISC 2017, ALGOCLOUD 2017, PODC 2016, SPAA 2016
- I gave a tutorial on Distributed and Concurrent Machine Learning at PODC 2018. Slides are here.
- Our work on relaxed scheduling and asynchronous SGD was recently presented at PODC 2018.
- Our work on randomized relaxed data structures and on transaction scheduling was accepted to SPAA 2018.
- Ce Zhang and I gave an invited talk at NVIDIA GTC 2018 on sparsification and quantization for scalable machine learning.
- Our work on neural network compression using distilled quantization was accepted to ICLR18. The implementation is here.
- QSGD was accepted as a Spotlight paper in NIPS 2017. Both CNTK and TensorFlow implementations are available.
I am extremely lucky to be able to work with the following students and postdocs:
- Trevor Brown (PostDoc @ IST -> Assistant Professor @ Waterloo)
- Joel Rybicki (PostDoc @ IST)
- Giorgi Nadiradze (PhD @ ETH)
- Martin Thoresen (Intern/PhD @ IST)
- Nikita Koval (Intern @ IST)
- Antonio Polino (MSc @ ETH)
- Arnab Kar (MSc Thesis @ IST)
- Nandini Singhal (Intern @ IST)
- Ekaterina Goltsova (Intern @ IST)
Visitors / Collaborators / Friends of the Lab:
- Prof. Robert Tarjan (visiting May 2018)
- Dr. Frank McSherry (visiting May 2018)
- Dr. Aleksandar Prokopec (visiting April 2018)
- Prof. Ce Zhang (ETH)
- Prof. Markus Pueschel (ETH)
- Prof. Torsten Hoefler (ETH)
- Rati Gelashvili (PhD@MIT, now PostDoc at UofT)
- Justin Kopinsky (PhD@MIT)
- Demjan Grubić (MSc, with Ce Zhang, now at Google)
- Cédric Renggli (MSc Thesis (ETH Medal), with Torsten Hoefler, now PhD@ETH)
- Aline Abler (BSc, with Torsten Hoefler)
- Raphael Kuebler (BSc)
- Jerry Z. Li (Intern, PhD@MIT)
- Jenny Iglesias (Intern, PhD@CMU)
- Syed Kamran Haider (Intern @ MSR, now Researcher @ Qualcomm)