Dong Deng is a postdoctoral associate in the Database Group at MIT CSAIL where he works with Mike Stonebraker and Sam Madden. He received his Ph.D. from Tsinghua University proudly under the guidance of Guoliang Li. His research interests include data management, data curation, and database usability. He is a Siebel scholar.
Database Group CSAIL MIT
Office: The Stata Center, 32-G930,
32 Vassar Street,
Cambridge MA 02139
- 2016-10, Data Civilizer is accepted by CIDR 2017.
- 2016-07, our experimental paper on data cleaning is accepted by VLDB 2016.
- 2016-06, graduated from Tsinghua University with a highest Doctoral Dissertation Award.
- 2016-04, our top-k & threshold-based error-tolerant autocompletion paper was accepted by VLDB 2016.
- Postdoc: Massachusetts Institute of Technology, CSAIL, Jul 2016 - Now,
Supervisor: Michael Stonebraker and Sam Madden
- Ph.D.: Tsinghua University, Department of Computer Science and Technology, Sep 2011 - Jun 2016,
Supervisor: Guoliang Li and Jianhua Feng
- Bachelor: Beihang University, Sep 2007 - July 2011
- Research Assistant: Qatar Computing Research Institute, DA Group, Dec 2015 - Mar 2016,
Supervisor: Mourad Ouzzani and Nan Tang
- Research Assistant: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, EECS, Jan 2014 - June 2014,
Supervisor: H. V. Jagadish
- The Data Civilizer System
Dong Deng, Raul Castro Fernandez, Ziawasch Abedjan, Sibo Wang, Michael Stonebraker,
Ahmed Elmagarmid, Ihab F. Ilyas, Samuel Madden, Mourad Ouzzani, Nan Tang. CIDR 2017
- Detecting Data Errors: Where are we and what needs to be done?
Ziawasch Abedjan, Xu Chu, Dong Deng, Raul Castro Fernandez,
Ihab F. Ilyas, Mourad Ouzzani, Paolo Papotti, Michael Stonebraker, Nan Tang. VLDB 2016
- Cost-Effective Crowdsourced Entity Resolution: A Partial-Order Approach.
Chengliang Chai, Guoliang Li, Jian Li, Dong Deng, Jianhua Feng. SIGMOD 2016
- META: An Efficient Matching-Based Method for Error-Tolerant Autocompletion.
Dong Deng, Guoliang Li, He Wen, H. V. Jagadish Jianhua Feng. VLDB 2016
- An Efficient Partition based Method for Set Similarity Join.
Dong Deng, Guoliang Li, He Wen, Jianhua Feng. VLDB 2016 [More]
- Efficient Similarity Search and Join on Multi-Attribute Data.
Guoliang Li, Jian He, Dong Deng, Jian Li, Jianhua Feng. SIGMOD 2015.
- A Unified Framework for Approximate Dictionary-based Entity Extraction
Dong Deng, Guoliang Li, Jianhua Feng, Yi Duan, Zhiguo Gong. VLDB Journal 2015. [More]
- String Similarity Search and Join: A Survey
Minghe Yu, Guoliang Li, Dong Deng, Jianhua Feng. FCS 2015.
- An Efficient Hierarchical Framework for Top-k and Threshold-based String Similarity Search.
Jin Wang, Guoliang Li, Dong Deng, Yong Zhang, Jianhua Feng. ICDE 2015.
- A Pivotal Prefix Based Filtering Algorithm for String Similarity Search.
Dong Deng, Guoliang Li, Jianhua Feng. SIGMOD 2014. [More]
- Distributed Graph Simulation: Impossibility and Possibility.
Wenfei Fan, Xin Wang, Yinghui Wu, Dong Deng. VLDB 2014.
- State-of-the-art in String Similarity Search and Join.
Sebastian Wandelt, Dong Deng, Stefan Gerdjikov, et. al. SIGMOD Record, 2014.
- MassJoin: A MapReduce-based Algorithm for String Similarity Joins.
Dong Deng, Guoliang Li, Shuang Hao, Jiannan Wang, Jianhua Feng. ICDE 2014.
- Scalable Column Concept Determination for Web Tables Using Large Knowledge Bases.
Dong Deng, Yu Jiang, Guoliang Li, Jian Li, Cong Yu. VLDB 2014.
- A Partition-based Method for String Similarity Joins with Edit-Distance Constraints.
Guoliang Li, Dong Deng, Jianhua Feng. ACM Transactions on Database Systems (TODS), 2013. [More]
- Efficient Parallel Partition-based Algorithms for Similarity Search and Join with Edit Distance Constraints.
Yu Jiang, Dong Deng, Jiannan Wang, Guoliang Li, Jianhua Feng. EDBT/ICDT Workshop 2013. [More]
- Top-k String Similarity Search with Edit-Distance Constraints.
Dong Deng, Guoliang Li, Jianhua Feng, Wen-Syan Li. ICDE 2013. [More]
- An Efficient Trie-based Method for Approximate Entity Extraction with Edit-Distance Constraints.
Dong Deng, Guoliang Li, Jianhua Feng. ICDE 2012. [More]
- Pass-Join: A Partition based Method for Similarity Joins.
Guoliang Li, Dong Deng, Jiannan Wang, Jianhua Feng. VLDB 2012. [More]
- Faerie: Efficient Filtering Algorithms for Approximate Dictionary-based Entity Extraction.
Guoliang Li, Dong Deng, Jianhua Feng. SIGMOD 2011. [More]
- Extending dictionary-based entity extraction to tolerate errors.
Guoliang Li, Dong Deng, Jianhua Feng. CIKM 2010. [More]
- Highest Doctoral Dissertation Award in Tsinghua University, June 2016
- Best Graduate in Beijing, 2011 & 2016
- Microsoft Research Asia PhD Fellowship, Sep. 2015
- Rising Academic Star of Graduates in Tsinghua University, nominees, June 2014
- Google Ph.D Fellowship June 2014
- Boeing Scholarship March 2014
- Siebel Scholar, Class of 2014
- TCDE Student Travel Award, April 2013
- Winner of The String Similarity Join Competition hold by EDBT/ICDT Workshop, 2013
- National Scholarship for Graduate Student, 2012
- Intel Fellowship, 2012
- Reviewer of IEEE Transaction on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE)
- Reviewer of ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST)
- Reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics: Systems (TMC)
- Reviewer of Journal of Computer Science and Technology (JCST)
- Program Committee Member, SISAP (International Workshop on Similarity Search and Its Application) 2014, 2015