I am assistant professor at the department of Knowledge Engineering at Maastricht University. Before, I was postdoc at the swarmlab, working with Karl Tuyls and Gerhard Weiss, and postdoctoral associate in the learning and intelligent systems group (LIS) at MIT, where worked with Leslie Kaelbling I obtained my PhD at the university of Amsterdam under the guidance of Frans Groen and Nikos Vlassis.
I try to generate fundamental knowledge about algorithms and models for complex tasks. In addition, I think about how such abstract models might be applied to challenging real-world tasks such as collaboration in multi-robot systems, optimization of traffic control systems, intelligent e-commerce agents, etc.
My main interests lie in the field of decision making under uncertainty and multiagents systems. I have great interest in related fields such as planning, reinforcement learning, optimization, machine learning, graphical models, probabilistic inference and game theory.
For more information look here.
News (& old news)
- July 2013 I have been awarded a Veni grant for three years of research!
- June 2013 Presentations of AAMAS and an invited talk at CWI can now be found under Research highlights.
- April 2013 My paper Sufficient Plan-Time Statistics for Decentralized POMDPs is accepted at IJCAI 2013!
- April 2013 Christopher Amato and I are working on Bayesian RL for multiagent systems under uncertainty. See our paper here.
- February 2013 JAIR has accepted our article Incremental Clustering and Expansion for Faster Optimal Planning in Decentralized POMDPs for publication!
- December 2012 Our paper Approximate Solutions for Factored Dec-POMDPs with Many Agents is accepted as a full paper at AAMAS 2013!
- December 2012 Our paper Multi-Objective Variable Elimination for Collaborative Graphical Games is accepted as an extended abstract at AAMAS 2013.
- June 2012 Our paper Exploiting Structure in Cooperative Bayesian Games was accepted at UAI 2012!
- June 2012 Yay! I won the best PC member award at AAMAS 2012!
- June 2012 The 7th MSDM workshop was very interesting! Check the proceedings at the MSDM website.
- April 2012 Two of my papers will appear at AAAI!
- January 2012 My book chapter on decentralized POMDPs is finally published! It can be used as a introduction to Dec-POMDPs and also provides insight on how the current state-of-the-art algorithms (forward heuristic search and backward dynamic programming) for finite-horizon Dec-POMDPs relate to each other.
- December 2011 Two of my papers will appear at AAMAS: a full paper about heuristic search of multiagent influence and an extended abstract about effective method for performing the vector-based backup in settings with delayed communication.
- July 2010 I've started at MIT on July 15th!
- Look my thesis is on google books!
- February 2010 On February 12th 2010 I succesfully defended my thesis, titled "Value-Based Planning for Teams of Agents in Stochastic Partially Observable Environments".
- Prashant Doshi and his students Christopher Jackson and Kennth Bogert used the multiagent decision project (MADP) toolbox to compute policies in the game of StarCraft. Watch the (pretty cool) video.