[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Harlequin

:Michael T. Richter wrote:
:> things I dislike about it are considered strengths by Unix's fans.  As such
:> I get turned off when facing what looks like a One True Way-ism.

I would love to see a machine which doesn't promote "One True Way"ism.

Macs - definitely OTW
Windows - whoa - MS is in COURT over OTW
Unix - you've called it OTW
AppleDOS, CP/M, DOS, IBM MVS, AS/xxx, TRS dos, AmigaDOS, BeOS, NextStep, ....

They all do their best to force a OTW viewpoint on people.

In fact, I've had better luck on Solaris than any other OS to get away from
OTW.  For instance, Java appeared there first - write once, run many places.
MAE - a Mac Application Emulator - allowed me (for a while) to run Mac
apps under Solaris.  A variety of Windows emulators allowed me to run
those.  Linux emulators allow me to run Linux on Solaris.  Then there are
the AppleDOS/Nintendo 64/GameBoy/.../PalmOS emulators for small or older
machines.

--
<*> O- <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>