[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan type-safety

At 5:12 PM -0400 7/23/99, Andrew LM Shalit wrote:
>  This type analysis is not rocket science.  Implementing it can be
>more or less difficult, depending on how far you want to push things,
>and what range of the language semantics you want to statically analyze.
>But fundamentally, it is seems patently obvious that you can write
>statically typed programs in Dylan.  If you disagree, we must have
>different definitions of static typing, and perhaps you could let me
>know what yours is.

One more point.  The example I gave does not define any classes.
It uses the built in classes <integer> and <list>, both of which
are sealed.  However, exactly the same analysis can be performed
on user-defined classes, provided that the proper sealing declarations
are used to prevent arbitrary extension of the classes and generic
functions involved.  The default, btw, is that these items be sealed,
so the default tends to enable more static type analysis.

--
Andrew Shalit                                    mailto:alms@folly.org
                                            http://www.folly.org/~alms