[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: . what dylan

Al Aab wrote:

> how does dylan compare to python
>         which i heard great things about, & is free and available for
>                 plain ol'dos (not to mentions ms windows)

Dylan is a compiled language, therefore faster and usable for making full
applications rather than just scripting, CGIs & tools. It can do all the regex
and CGI stuff Python can do, too (I'm a lapsed Python programmer amongst other
things). Dylan is also free (Gwydion Dylan & Harlequin Personal Edition), unless
you want CORBA and other good stuff.
Python is a more usable Perl, Dylan is an excellent general purpose programming
language. IMHO.

> vaguely recall APPLE corp  almost used dylan as an OS,
>                 or something ?

They almost used it as a system programming language, having done a lot of the
work to define it. They released a compiler for it which had a super-advanced
GUI but soon fell by the wayside.

> what is the rel betw dylan &
>                                 APPLE
>                                 Harlequin

Apple, Harlequin and CMU were all involved in the early development of Dylan.
Apple aren't anymore, Harlequin Dylan has gone to Functional Objects inc., and
CMU have handed Gwydion Dylan over to the Gwydion Dylan Maintainers. I doubt
that they're talking much anymore, but you do have to acknowledge Apple's Dylan
trademark...

- Rob.