[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How update of Dylan reference manual?

At 03:00 AM 1/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I am considering to buy Dylan programming
>reference manual.  I vaguely remember that there
>was discussion about the out-of-date of the book.

The short answer is that it is very close to what Functional Objects and
Gwydion implement.  There is an errata sheet available somewhere, which I
will track down for you.

>Could someone give me a rough list of difference
>between current Dylan implementation by d2c,
>HD(FO) and book?

Back in the days of Harlequin Dylan, we met with the Gwydion folks in order
to bring the two implementations more in line.  We agreed on a number of
extensions, most of which ended up in the common-dylan library.  We also
added inlining adjectives, function-definer, integer extensions among other
things.  We also standardized on a number of libraries (e.g., streams,
print, threads, machine-word, c-ffi, ...).  Gwydion folks will have to
respond with the status of their conformance to those standardized libraries.

Functional Objects' implementation tries to conform as closely as possible
to the DRM and any deviations are noted in the release notes.

Again, Gwydion folks will have to specify their conformance to the DRM.  I
know that they don't fully implement limited collections for example.  I
also don't think that they allow all possible dynamic method
signatures.  There is also a difference between d2c and Mindy.  Mindy
doesn't implement the current infix macro system.

Perhaps other people out there can help me out...

Jonathan Bachrach
President, Functional Objects, Inc.