[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A question

Chris Double <chris@double.co.nz> wrote in message
wkk8lfobxz.fsf@double.co.nz">news:wkk8lfobxz.fsf@double.co.nz...
> "Stephen J. Guthrie" <steve.guthrie@mantissa.com> writes:
> >
> > I started out by buying Dylan (this, I assume, is a good thing) and
> > I am now curious as to whether I should throw good money after bad.
>
> What sort of things are you planning to write? What type of things do
> you work on?
Good question.  I have mainframe programs I write in Assembler H, mainly a
container for report and document management, distribution and printing.  I
don't use a database backend, so I don't need SQL at all.  The mainframe
system can be run from a batch environment or through CICS or TSO.  CICS/TSO
allow user access to the mainframe container to view and manage documents
through 3270 VTAM devices.  I wrote a Java-based applet to convert the 3270
VTAM to a GUI for general Internet access.

I also have a client program that receives documents via SNA or FTP and
allows data mining, document viewing and document transformation (ASCII text
only, for now).  This application is written in Visual C++, using some
component grid controls and OBDC to either Microsoft Access or SQL Server
6.5.  I don't store documents in SQL server, I store edge pointers to a
hierarchichal container I wrote in VC++.  No Visual Basic or other languages
are used in this project.

Finally, I have an almost finished project I wrote in Galaxy and a custom
written Object Rexx variant we designed in house. The project was designed
to allow enterprise management and control of mainframe functions from
practically any client.  I don't need to tell you about Galaxy, suffice to
say I lost 4 man years of work when they departed the scene.  This leads me
to Dylan and java and Smalltalk - what do I replace Galaxy with?  If the
replacement product was right for this purpose, couldn't I also replace my
VC++ and Java efforts?  The new replacement would have to run on:

MVS/OS390
Microsft Windows 3.11, WFW, 95, 98, NT 3.5, NT 4.0 and Windows 2000
Linux
AIX
Sun (ALL)
Open Edition Unix

This is where I am and why I am evaluating (and using):

Visual Age for Java 3.0 Enterprise
IBM WebSphere (OS/390, Linux, Windows, Open Edition Unix)
CICS V1.3
Object-based Rexx (home-grown)
VC++

Now I need a glue environment to bind them all together and that's what I am
doing.

Thanks for your help.

Steve