[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is Apple Dylan TR still available? Was it ever?

The Technology Release was made available, then quickly cancelled by Apple
when Java hit. :-(
I got a copy from Full Moon before they closed down, you might see copies
offered on eBay or this list, I don't know of any reliable sources. It's
not downloadable and is presumably still Apple copyright. I once heard a
rumour about it being on the Macintosh Common Lisp CD, although I can't
confirm or deny this.

Aside from proving that Dylan worked, the TR featured a beyond-cutting-edge
interface and a C interface system, Melange. It didn't have macro support,
and it required a patch to run properly on Power Macs, but it was an
excellent showcase for Dylan.

Email Functional Objects and hassle them to add a MacOS-X port. :-)

Patrick Beard's CodeWarrior plugin of my Mac port of Mindy is currently
available, and a d2c plugin is in progress. I don't know if they work with
the "Discover Programming" version of CW, but after that the Academic
version is the next cheapest option. If you can wait for OS-X, the full
Gwydion command-line system should be available on that as soon as I can
convince "configure" that OS-X exists...

- Rob.