[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [OFF] HTML template languages

 I cannot resist adding my 0.10FF to the debate, having recently
moved from the field of dynamic web-site design. Those comments
were first addressed to Scott Ribe.

 __IMHO__ dynamic web page production should not be done with
templates mixing HTML and programming language features.

 If we need this model, I would certainly advise sticking
to JSP as much as possible. JSPs are not perfect, but about as good
as the alternatives I have seen.

 IMHO (again) the Right Thing (TM) is to use XML+XSLT+CSS. Let
Dylan generate XML-formatted data, get the UI & design people
to work on the XSLT&CSS content.
 Having XML-formating methods is already evil (ie it's a good
candidate for a good library + lots of macro wizardry),
but it's already a giant step away from having HTML in the code.

 Of course there are limitations:
- need latest browsers (or even next ones)
- while perfect for DB output (ie what I was doing at the red O.),
  this may be too much for very simple needs (like printing a
  timestamp, a user name, etc.). But for those needs a _simple_
  template-replacement model is adequate (I am just not sure
  where the template should live)

 Hope this helps. I would certainly appreciate seeing someone
tackle a Dylan Server Pages project (one of those projects
I would like to work on, as soon as I get some time...).

 Regards - Eric

--
Eric Gouriou                             eric_gouriou@pobox.com