[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Custom gadgets in a frame

Chris Double wrote in message <8F1CA753Achrisdoubleconz@202.27.184.33>...
>andrewa@functionalobjects.com (Andy Armstrong) wrote in
><JPLCPLKHFGBBBAAA@mailcity.com>:
>

>>1. Use the module win32-duim, and subclass <win32-list-box>.
>>
>>  This subclasses the concrete Win32 representation of <list-box>,
>>  but obviously limits your code to only working on Windows.
>
>Unfortunately the various <win32-*> gadget classes aren't exported from
win32-
>duim and the methods on them are sealed. It would be nice if they were
exported
>and/or open - for those times when you want to subclass a windows control
(I'm
>talking about Win32 subclassing of window controls, not OO subclassing) and
use
>it from DUIM with the same basic implementation as a standard windows
control
>but only the window creation routines overridden. This doesn't happen a lot
in
>practice though.

Andy Armstrong and I had planned to make all the win32-duim gadgets
be open and abstract, with a sealed instantiable class for each open
abstract class.  Then we would export the abstract classes, and people
could extend the Win32 gadgets.  Do people think this is important?
It's not hard, but it does displace potentially more important work.

Follow-Ups: References: