[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Lambda Nature

In article <brucehoult-3004002016460001@bruce.bgh>,
Bruce Hoult <brucehoult@pobox.com> wrote:
>My questions for the assembled masses is:
>
>  - where are we now, ten years later?

Not much better.  The success of Unix, Windows, and C/C++ rather than MacOS
and Lisp are examples of the "worse is better" philosophy.

>  - What is this "next LISP" of which he speaks? (in
>    <http://www.ai.mit.edu/docs/articles/good-news/subsection3.3.6.html>

I don't think he had a specific Lisp in mind, but was describing an
approach to creating one.  However, his description seems to have quite a
bit in common with ISLisp, the dialect that was being developed by the ISO
Lisp working group (Gabriel was X3J13's representative to that group for
several years), and Dylan also seems to have adopted some of this approach.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA