[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: good bang for buck machines?

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Bruce Hoult wrote:
> Hi fellow Dylan hackers,
>
> I'm looking at replacing my trusty Pentium Pro 200 linux machine ...
> ...  And now that Apple doesn't use SCSI drives any more their price has
> headed for the stratosphere relative to IDE which makes having an
> all-SCSI machine a dubious proposition when you've got enough RAM that
> you don't do any real disk I/O anyway...

I don't have any specific machine advice but, FYI, I discovered a while
ago that there are a few companies out there selling (PCI?) cards with
extra master-&-slave IDE channels on them (can't remember any company
names offhand).  So you don't need to worry quite as much about using up
all 4 default IDE channels, making IDE even more attractive for home
machines :-)

Hugh