[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New language

The system bus idea was referred to in a previous posting. My take on it was
that it's a kind of central data pipeline for each process. This is in
contrast to the callbacks and singletons used by languages that have to
manually pass data between known nodes of functionality. It makes for a very
dynamic, environment-based system.

There are several good things about JavaSpaces:
- You download the functionality as well as the data, so you can have generic
workstations (of any platform, it's Java...) pulling down objects and
processing them in the sandbox without having to be configured for each task.
Big time saving, big flexibility gain.
- The space-based programming paradigm is designed for distributed computing,
rather than squeezing an existing paradigm into the demands of a new way of
working as RPC/CORBA or DO/DCOM do. DO I like the most out of these, but
JavaSpaces is still a tool designed to solve the problem, rather than bring
the problem to an existing tool.
- It is a new way of thinking about structuring tasks. It's very flexible and
elegant, do read the JavaSpaces book online (even just the sample chapter) to
get a feel of how it does things differently. Co-ordinating resources,
queueing tasks and data and co-ordinating tasks across many machines becomes
very simple, far more so than using altered object technologies. You cn start
to imagine new ways of structuring tasks and data, too, the JavaSpaces book
has some useful patterns.

I still think we should re-implement JavaSpaces in XML and do a Dylan version.
:-)

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers  -  robm@tdv.com         The Digital Village  -  www.tdv.com
MacOS wonderfulness for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game.

Follow-Ups: References: