[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Some question about Dylan

p.robisch@bull.de wrote:

> >    Is its GUI library platform independent?

DUIM runs on Win32 and is being ported to other platforms.

> >    Is it used commercially?

I think so. I remember people emailing on the Gwydion list about using Dylan for
real-world projects.

> >    Has any heavy-weight administration adopt it? (DOD,

The US Army run their web site on Macintoshes...

> >    What kind of applications are typically written in Dylan?

Dylan is a general-purpose programming language, so this is similar to asking what
kind of applications are written in C. As GUI and networked applications seem to
predominate at the moment, that is what people generally write. 3D graphics and
games are also areas of research.

> >    What kind of people are typically using it?

It seems to go across the board and around the world. Flame wars are very
difficult  to start on the newsgroup, so "well-balanced" is probably the common
denominator. :-)

> >    How long has it been in existence? What is the current version? Is it
> stable?

The DRM was published in 1996 (I think), and has had some errata but no revisions.
Gwydion Dylan is at version 2.3.3 and Functional Developer is at version 2.0.

> >    Is it used anywhere as educational language (first OO language?)

Courses in the US and New Zealand have been / are(?) being taught using it, I
think.

> >    Finally, what hard evidence can you bring to support your claim that it has
> >    a great future?

Dylan is spreading to more platforms, and has more libraries and 3rd party code
available than ever before.
New versions of Functional Developer and Gwydion Dylan have just been released.
Dylan's interoperability with other languages is being improved furthur with the
upcoming "Pidgin" system.
DUIM will provide a portable standard for GUI work in Dylan, across compilers and
platforms.

- Rob.

--
Rob Myers  -  robm@h2g2.com         H2G2  -  http://www.h2g2.com/
MacOS wonderfulness for The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy Game.