[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Origins of Dylan

Hi,

I've been reading Object-Oriented Programming: The CLOS Perspective, ed
by Paepcke. It's a really informative comparison of CLOS with some other
major OO languages.

Something that has struck me in reading the book is how much the
developers complain about the compromises they had to make in order to
keep backwards compatibility with all the old flavors of Lisp. I
remember such complaints being made about Common Lisp in general.

Recently, I was looking at some material on Dylan and notice that the
developers were a  lot of the same people who were involved with CLOS.
That made me wonder, is Dylan what they really wanted to make when they
made CLOS?

Does anyone know to what degree Dylan was intended to be a better CLOS?
Or was it actually focused on a different range of needs?

Cheers,
Tom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.