[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Lisp - First Impressions

On 17 Jun 2000 20:58:12 +1000, Neurocrat <neurocrat@one.net.au> wrote:

>popular. A greater leap still to the decision not to use it because
>it's not more popular.

Dylan is even less popular than Lisp.  I'm presently using Smalltalk and am
considering moving to Lisp or Dylan.  There are a lot of advantages of each
of them, but I don't really understand most of those advantages.  Besides
those two languages, the other option I'm considering is to just keep using
Smalltalk.  I assume Lisp and Dylan have most of Smalltalk's features, but
some of them might not be as elegant.  Such as the closure syntax, which lets
you combine multiple and/or nested closures on one line of code without
obfuscating it.

Besides the question of which language is better, an even bigger question
might be which development environment is better.  Without taking the
language into account, is Functional Developer as good as LispWorks?  Are
there any other development environments I should consider, assuming Allegro
is out of my price range?

-- Eric S.