[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: C# is not Dylan (was: Re: C# : The new language from M$)

David Bakhash wrote in message ...
>"Scott McKay" <swm@mediaone.net> writes:

>Since you have lots of experience with both languages, would you agree
>that the CL syntax is more expressive?  more malleable?  More uniform?
>I would, but if you feel otherwise, I'd like to know why.

I don't actually think CL syntax is more expressive or more uniform.
The *basic* syntax of lists certainly is, but once you start adding in
all the macros and special forms, the nice uniformity goes right
down the tubes.  Think of if, cond, do, defclass, ...

It's certainly more malleable, and it's certainly easier to write read
and print.  There are some things for which that is a real benefit.

In fact, the slightly less malleable syntax actually makes most Dylan
macros easier to read, in my opinion, because there isn't so much
flexibility that you can do any awful thing.