[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Flame bait on info-dylan, comp.lang.dylan

For those on the info-dylan list or reading the comp.lang.dylan
newsgroup, and who are not familiar with the "open" nature of usenet,
I thought it might be timely to post a few remarks:

(1) info-dylan is NOT moderated.  Anyone has the right to post
    anything they want.  Posting to info-dylan _is_ restricted to
    subscribers, but there is no analogy w.r.t. posting to
    comp.lang.dylan.  Also, though posting to info-dylan is restricted
    to subscribers, the content is not restricted.

(2) it is inevitable, given the openness of usenet, that there will be
    posts that are off topic, objectionable, insulting, etc.
    Sometimes the offense is by a well-meaning but naive poster who
    will respond to constructive coaching on "netiquette".  Often,
    however, that is not the case.  In that case, there are two
    strategies that I find useful:
      (a) ignore -- usually the best policy is to simply ignore the
          offensive poster.  Since attention is what they crave, they
          will usually move on after a while.
      (b) kill files -- most decent newsreaders (I use the gnus
          package under emacs) provide a "kill file" capability.
          Adding an address to your kill file will conveniently shield
          you from future rantings by the specified user.

Welcome to the future!
--
Greg      gregs@ai.mit.edu (617)253-5807
Sullivan  http://www.ai.mit.edu/~gregs/