[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan source in one file?

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Andy Armstrong wrote:
> This is such a good idea, that we've already agreed it with
> Gwydion as part of the Common Dylan initiative ...

Oh, okay, I'm behind the times then :-)

> The next step is to have an all-in-one .lid and .dylan file
> [e.g.]
>   ---------8<----------
>   Library: hello-world
>   Module: hello-world
>
>   define library hello-world
>     use common-dylan;
>   end library hello-world;
>
>   define module hello-world
>     use common-dylan;
>   end module hello-world;
>
>   format-out("Hello world!\n");
>   ---------8<----------
>
> This still isn't as concise as you'd like ...

Well, seeing as the headers already name the library and module we're
implicitly defining, how about something like

Library: foo
Module: foo

define this module
  use /* library */ common-dylan {
    use /* module */ common-dylan;
  };
end;

format-out("Hello, world!\n");

?

> Anyway, I think this is a very important piece of making Dylan
> an easier language to get started with, and it also provides a
> very natural way to support Dylan as a scripting language, which
> I think is a niche it could fill extremely well.

Yep, it'd be cool to see "DylanScript" :-)  It just ocurred to me recently
that, if we can add convenient (and efficient, flexible and extensible)
support for strings not only in Unicode but in other encodings, that could
be a big plus in the web/XML world.  I just so happen to have some design
notes about that somewhere, which I should send to the common-dylan list
... :-)

Hugh