[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dylan (DYnamic LANguage) -- what's the deal?

Scott McKay wrote:

> What's your point?  That commercial success is an indicator
> of excellent technology?  So explain why Apollo failed, despite
> its high level of excellent technology ...

One factor, told to me by a former Apollo employee, is that HP
wanted a good workstation, so they bought Apollo, and then they
got the 10 Apollo managers together with the 30 or so HP managers
and voted on what to do next.  Guess which side got the most votes?

The moral is either: (a) decreasing your productivity per person is
a winning strategy when it comes down to taking votes, or (b) taking
votes is often a losing strategy when you want technical excellence.

-Peter