[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: small Q

in article bruce-D726BE.09573309082000@news.akl.ihug.co.nz, Bruce Hoult at
bruce@hoult.org wrote on 2000.08.08 14:57:

> In article <87lmy7o7is.fsf@qiwi.uncommon-sense.net>, Boris Schaefer
> <boris@uncommon-sense.net> wrote:
>
>> How do you branch without "if"?
>> In case you mean that you don't need "if" as a special form, I agree.
>
> By making True and False be functions of two arguments ("then" and
> "else") that each evaluate only one of them.  You define your comparison
> operators to return one of these two functions, and you define "if" to
> simply pass the then and else parts to the function returned by the
> comparison.

Yes, but isn't this just pushing the problem around? Somewhere in there
there has got to be a conditional operator, which is exactly what "if" is,
no? For example, if you implement "if" with a conditional operator, how do
you implement a conditional operator without "if"?

--
Chris Page
Mac OS Guy

let mail-to = concatenate( "Chris Page <page", "@", "best.com>");