[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Did you conplete the project?

Douglas M. Auclair <dauclair@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Peter,

(Don't know if this was intended to go to the list; I'll reply to the list
anyway.)

> I read your project and liked it very much.  A couple of things:  you
> have FIXMEs in some places ... did you?  Did you implement p2k
> procedures?

Procedures weren't a required part of the project.  At the beginning of the
quarter I had ambitions to implement them anyway but I had two other classes
(and a full-time job), plus the register allocator took awhile to debug.

The other FIXMEs involved the use of limited types (not fully supported by
d2c), minor deviations from the specified grammar (where I made the same
simplifications as the provided sample parser), and the drawing of "nifty
diagrams" in MetaPost (which I never got around to learning until the
following quarter).

> It would be helpful for me to see the problem statement as well as the
> p2k bnf or language definition.  Would you post that information?

The BNF is actually included in the XML markup, but I haven't written the
XSLT to transform it into XSL-FO for printing.

The problem statement (and BNF) can be found at
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~franz/211/ProjectPhase1.pdf (for the language
definition) and http://www.ics.uci.edu/~franz/211/ProjectPhase2%263.pdf (for
the specifics of the CSE and register assignment portions of the
assignment).

Cheers,
-Peter S. Housel-   housel@acm.org   http://members.home.com/housel/