[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Keywords/Reserved Words

Bruce Hoult wrote in message ...
>In article <8qkiul$ofc$1@news.cowan.edu.au>, "Daniel Butun"
><dabutun@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Could someone please point me in the direction of a website that has a
>> listing of the keywords and/or reserved words in Dylan.
>
>The core language defines seven reserved words: define, end, handler,
>let, local, macro, and otherwise.
>
>   <http://www.gwydiondylan.org/drm/drm_17.htm>

I think that the fact that there are only seven reserved words in the
language, and that the rest of the language can be defined in terms
of Dylan's macro system, says quite a lot about the simplicity and
completeness of the language.  It's always jolting to see simple
things like 'synchronized' be reserved words in in Java...

>There are quite a lot of names exported from the Dylan module.  The
>Dylan reference manual lists 243 of them:
>
>   <http://www.gwydiondylan.org/drm/drm_119.htm>

And, of course, any of these can be shadowed by the module system.