[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

simple method dispatch question

This seems to me like it ought to be an easy question to answer, but so
far I can't seem to find anything addressing it in the DRM.

Is it possible to force calling a particular instance of a generic
function-- a super class' instance--when you have an object which
inherits from two different super classes?   It's harder for me to
phrase the question correctly than provide some example code, so here
goes:

define class <test> ( <object> )
end class <test>;

define class <test1> (<object> )
end class <test1>;

define class <mixed-test> ( <test>, <test1> )
end class <mixed-test>;

define method print ( <test> )
   do-printing-stuff;
end method print;

define method print ( <test1> )
   do-more-printing-stuff;
end method print;

define method print ( <mixed-test> )
   next-method();  // ?
   // how can it call the print for <test> followed by
   // the print for <test1>?
end method print;

I've recently been muddling my brain with C++, and you could accomplish
this in C++ with explicit type casting,  but I can't think how to do it
Dylan.  I vaguely remember an example or two of this kind of thing from
the Dylan Programming book, but I don't have the book handy right now.

TIA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.