[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: simple method dispatch question

On 11/11/00 5:00 PM, the artist formerly known as Michael T. Richter,
(mtr@ottawa.com), issued a press release stating:

> Now this is an interesting concept.  Many's the time that I've cursed my
> available tools for not permitting me to attach my own view of things to
> them.  Having a tool that is extensible in this fashion would really kick
> butt.

This sounds like an argument for Smalltalk - most (if not all) Smalltalk
IDE's:

1. expose their own source code and
2. ship as an image of instantiated objects

so it is fairly easy to customize the built in tools with one's own
extensions of them, or replace them altogether, using the same underpinnings
that they do.

For Dylan to do this easily would require:

1. Incremental compiliation (which Fun-O already does, I believe, and
Gwydion does not) and
2. IDE source availability (not sure how much of this is available for
Fun-O, all is available for Gwydion, but you couldn't really call what's
there in Gwydion a real IDE yet).
--

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffael@mediaone.net