[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: how to set null <variant> args in OLE calls using FO Dylan

"John Whittaker" <johncwhi@earthlink.net> writes:

> I placed a few carriage returns in this string just to make it
> display.  What does all that mean?  I don't want to be arbitrary or
> capricious, but I'm not sure how to correct this problem.  What is
> the problem here?

I'm not sure why you are getting this warning but the particular
warning is usually because of multiple methods being able to be used
for a particular set of arguments to a generic function. For example:

  define open generic some-fun(a, b);

  define method some-fun( a :: <integer>, b ) end;
  define method some-fun( a , b :: <integer> ) end;

  some-fun(5, 5);

You probably get the warning there too (not tested). In Dylan it is an
error (I think) for this to happen but with FD it is a warning that
the particular method selected may not be the one you expect. I posted
a questions about it not being an error some time back on this
newsgroup (about 1.5 years ago) when it was Harlequin Dylan and the
answer was that this was not an error in CLOS and many programmers on
the Dylan team were ex-(or current)-CLOS programmers and had followed
the CLOS precedence rules. It was made a warning to allow that code to
work. Don't know how true that is or not :). Perhaps some of that COM
code is written to rely on the particular precedence rules.

Does your method work anyway?

Chris.
--
http://www.double.co.nz/dylan