[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mac OS X presents an opportunity for Dylan

--- "David S. Harrison" <daha@best.com> wrote:

> I recently installed the Mac OS X prerelease on my
> Macintosh at home
> and it occurred to me that OS X provides an
> interesting opportunity
> to attract developers to Dylan.  Lots of developers
> will be looking
> to fill the native OS X application space over the
> next year or
> two.  It would be great if some of those
> applications were written
> in Dylan.
>
> Anyone know if Fun-O is targeting Mac OS X?  Does
> the CodeWarrior
> plug-in for d2c/mindy work on OS X?  Would it be
> feasible
> to quickly create bindings to Carbon (the new UI API
> for OS X)?

I cannot speak for the Mindy plugin, but I know the
d2c CW plugin pretty well :-)

Yes, I have tested the plugin with MOSX Public beta,
and it worked nicely. It was also pretty fast on a G4
machine. Right now I do not have access to it, so I
work under MacOS 8.6. Go on and make your experiences,
you will like it. There have been over 300 downloads
of the plugin from www.versiontracker.com, so there
seems to be interest, but I cannot tell if those just
wanted to kill bandwidth or are really using the
plugin. At least I got no complaints so far...

As soon as the 2.3.4 tarball is official and I get
some time from my new job, a new beta will be
released. If you want, you could do some pre-beta
testing with it.

Some Carbon bindings have been fabricated, overall it
is not difficult. Rob Myers and Gareth Baker are the
ones to ask.

   Gabor