[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: newbie question about speed .....

On Wed, Jan 17, 2001 at 12:35:25AM -0600, Doug Ball wrote:

> I am new to Dylan but am very excited about it.  I am hoping that it
> will turn out to be suitable for 3D graphics and game programming.
>
> Is there anyone on the list that is using Dylan in this role?  Is
> Dylan working out to run as fast as C++ for your applications?  I
> would be grateful for any input.  I am currently programming mostly
> in C++ but I have my eye on Objective Caml as well.

I have worked as a game programmer in the past (and wouldn't mind
working as one again), and one of my hopes is that in a year or two I
can write 3D game code in Dylan.  Game engines, by their nature, are
complex, interwoven beasts that are often subject to repeated massive
overhauls to suit the changing game content.  Dylan seems to be ideal
for this sort of application.

There is currently a set of OpenGL bindings for Gwydion Dylan, and a
team of Dylan hackers created a 3D recursive-raytracer entirely in
Dylan for the ICFP programming contest last year.

-jeff

Follow-Ups: References: