[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Newbie question: Dylan and OOP?

Jason Trenouth wrote in message
<65i27toucvtg1m9eq31ps7nh32fomimosc@4ax.com>...
>On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:30:02 -0500 (EST), "Scott McKay" <swm@mediaone.net>
>wrote:
>
>> I think it's telling that Java, e.g., cannot be implemented using it's
own
>> objects and abstractions from the ground up in Java, but Dylan can be.
>> (For example, arithmetic and arrays can't be implemented, never
>> mind extended, in Java, but are just part of the language in Dylan).
>
>Well, much as I hate to mention them, there are projects like the
>following:
>
>"Jalapeno" <http://www.research.ibm.com/jalapeno/>
>
>and
>
>"OpenJIT" <www.openjit.org>

This doesn't bother me in the least.  In the next few years, Java
will have completely re-invented Lisp.  (Well, it bothers me a
little, since they'll all take credit for their own ingenuity.)

When the Java Syntactic Extensions stuff that a certain person
is working on is complete, then we'll have Dylan with curly braces
instead of 'end'.

Follow-Ups: References: