[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Can one do the following in dylan?

Hi. Thanks again for all answers.

Rob Myers wrote:

> DLL-loading for a non-byte-coded language is very OS-specific.

and run time impl specific. OTOH Dynamic linking is a very nice feature
especially
if one does not have eval. Given the presence of sealed vs open classes etc

I imagine dylan was designed for that, otherwise a simple closed-world
assumption
would have been sufficient (ok they help the compiler anyway a bit but ...)

> It should
> be possible in Gwydion Dylan, which can import and export methods to and
> from C. If it supports make(<method>) and add-method, pointers to
> methods in MacOS X bundles, PC DLLs or UNIX shared libraries could be
> added to the dispatch table using some internals.
> Gwydion doesn't support make(<class>) yet, though.
> IIRC, Fun-O requires that loaded methods fit an existing protocol.
>
> Rather than contriving a servlet system, both Fun-Dev and GD can be used
> to write modules for Apache or another web server. There's CGI code on
> the Gwydion FTP site.

A servlets system was just an example. To be honest (but I started my
postings
saying that mine was intellectual curiosity ) I have no time to write
anything serious in dylan,
but I like it. As I like dynamic linking (it enables nice things and more
practical ones)
and hearing that dylan supports/could support it is nice too.

- Samuele.