[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: [Q] Dylan to Java/JVM compiler?

In article <m3d79poxgu.fsf@localhost.localdomain>, Lieven Marchand
<mal@wyrd.be> wrote:

> Is there at this moment a Dylan compiler that beats a good CL compiler
> on equivalent code?

I don't know -- are there any non-trivial programs available for both?

I would be surprised if Fun-O wasn't at least as good as any Windows CL
compiler.  Gwydion is a bit more patchy -- on fairly static code it can
do as well as C for many things, but our GF dispatch code isn't
currently all that fast.  Mind you, it may well match things like CMUCL.

> Theoretically, the Dylan compiler can potentially
> do better by the sealing constructs, but that's about the only
> difference I see between CL and Dylan w.r.t. possible optimisation.

I agree, if CL lets you declare integers to not be arbitrary precision.
Oh, and I don't think CL has a good alternative for Dylan's "limited
collections" either.

I'm happy to be corrected.

-- Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: