[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Long names are doom ?

Is it because the APL character set does not replicate well in ASCII? :-)

When I studied APL I recall using identifiers like A and B. Has this
situation improved, or are APL programs so short and readable that
meaningful identifiers are not an issue?

I remember at the time it was a dead cool language, and I could do reporting
things with it that seemed to horrify the FORTRAN programmers of the world,
but that was on a mainframe 20 years ago.

APL always seemed to me to be the ideal macro language for spreadsheets,
although nobody else seems to have picked up on this :-)  I realize that
this is likely a FAQ, but are there free or open-source APL implementations
available? (Although I realize it will never be the same without an AJ510
keyboard)

Also, I seem to recall an interesting relationship between APL and Lisp, but
I don't recall exactly what it is. I suppose it has something to do with
functional programming...wasn't APL originally a specification language for
Lisp programs?

[p.s. I've removed comp.lang.c at the risk of annoying the rest of the
non-APLers this time...hey, how come comp.lang.fortran is not on the
distribution list? I suspect this a trick by fortran programmers to make the
rest of us unproductive, since that was who started the thread in the first
place!]

Cheers,
Steve