[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Long names are doom ?

"Eric Moss" <ericmoss@alltel.net> wrote in message
9g62od$2ja$1@iac5.navix.net">news:9g62od$2ja$1@iac5.navix.net...

> > Would it help to
> > expand it to nextMatherizingPropersipper if the programmer doesn't know
> what
> > matherizing is or what the proper sipper does?
>
> Not much (you knew that), unless there's a place to find the long name
> explained. Even google can't help much with NMP. :)

Actually, search engines are very good at finding weird abbreviations and
acronyms.

> Type declarations in the
> top-level code can help here, I think:
>
>     NextMatherizingPropersipper* nmp = nil;
>
>     if (nmp==nil) {...}

Again, if you don't know what those terms mean, they might as well stay as
(unique) abbreviations. Especially if everyone you talk to in the business
actually uses a term like NMP all the time.

> I hope this adds to the conversation...

I usually only reply to parts I disagree with or feel I can elaborate on. I
don't reply to parts I agree with, which is why I didn't reply to most of
your post. :)