[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Interpreting error messages in Functional Developer

Anyone know if Functional Developer has a document that describes
error messages in greater detail?  I am getting the following from
FunDev when I try a very simple program:

Dylan error: attempt to call subclass? on an incompletely initialized
 class <my-sample>.

Below is a little bit of the code for context.  I am sure that it
is something simple but the error doesn't tell me much in this case.

// -- Start example --

// The following is defined in dylansample.dylan:
Module: dylansample

define method main() => ()
  let sample-instance = make(<my-sample>)
  sample-instance.value := 7
  format-out("value is %d\n", sample-instance.value);
end method main;

begin
  main();
end

// The following is defined in datamodel.dylan
Module: dylansample

define class <my-sample> ( <object> )
  slot value :: <integer>, init-value: 0;
end class <my-sample>;

// -- End example --

I suspect it has something to do with these definitions being
in two different files.  If I combine them into one file, making
the instance seems to work but the "format-out" call fails to
run with an access violation.

I am using FunDev 2.0 (service pack 1) on Windows NT 4.0 (I
think service pack 6).

			David S. Harrison
			(daha@best.com)