[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: What happened to Apple Dylan

Some minor corrections.

Spindler stopped Dylan because the engineers working on it were more
expensive than Apple could afford back than. Till the end of '95 the core
team got a chance to wrap up all they had and package it as a product which
came out as the Apple Dylan Technology Release. It featured PPC code
generation but did not itself run on PowerPC natively. The development bed
was all Common Lisp and there was no PPC MCL (Macintosh Common Lisp) at that
time. Later Digitool was paid to port the environment to PPC using their
development version of MCL for PPC they were working on. Apple Dylan TR PPC
was quietly released 1996. It still runs fine on classic MacOS, dunno about
X.

The team sometimes hinted that not bootstrapping the environment in Dylan
was a mistake. This would have eased the PPC adoption considerably. But in
the light of limited resources and a very strong CL background of the
members it was understandable.

Java did not materialize as the mainstream language Sun has hoped, and the
world still needs a good alternative to C++ (which is a major pain).
This is a second chance for Dylan and several people work on it.

    Gabor