[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multiple dispatch / multimethods??

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001, Gary Stephenson <garys@ihug.com.au> wrote:

>Sorry, but I don't understand. I wish to compare not "overriding" (i.e.
>inheritance) but "overloading".

If you have general-purpose "overriding" (i.e. dispatching on all
arguments), then what do you need overloading for??? If you have dynamic
dispatch on all arguments, there is no need that I can think of for
static overloading. Perhaps you're confused by C++, where you can have
dynamic dispatch on 1 argument or static dispatch on multiple arguments--
typical of the way C++ muddles things up. Dynamic dispatch on multiple
arguments is the general case; C++ offers you 2 special cases.

Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com
http://www.killerbytes.com/
(303) 665-7007 voice