[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multiple dispatch / multimethods??

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 21:45:01 -0400 (EDT), "Mark Jordan"
<Mark_Jordan@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote:

> I'm thinking more along the lines of generating language bindings
> (and the C library itself) directly from an interface/implementation
> database. This avoids any parsing altogether and keeps everything
> consistent; changes only have to be made in one place. I haven't
> seen anything like this around have you?
>
> I was going to use IDL  as the interface language, but I've decided
> against it because it doesn't support some of the things I want to do,
> like pre/post condtions. With database tables, I don't need to parse
> any IDL, much simpler IMO.

You'll find that most interface languages have associated databases
already. Microsoft's IDL (MIDL) has its type library (typelib) and CORBA's
IDL has its interface repository.

If you don't care to parse CORBA IDL (or MIDL) you don't have to. You can
connect to an interface repository that has had the application IDL loaded
into it, and use an API ( CORBA IDL of course ) to access the structures.

( There are also open IDL compilers which you could just add a backend to
for emitting stuff. )

__Jason

Follow-Ups: References: