[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Closures

Jeff Dalton <jeff@aiai.ed.ac.uk> writes:
>The interesting question is why:  why have Dylan and modern Lisps
>gone this way when virtually no one else has?  Why were Lisp and Dylan
>not satisfied with some kind of "approximate closure" when so many
>others were?

Because the others are clueless?

It is interesting to note that GNU C supports closures, just not with
indefinite extent. It's a very nice feature that I would use a lot,
if it wasn't for 1) it makes my code less portable and 2) I'm scared
of the performance hits from the cache flushes that may need to
accompany the trampoline generation on the stack. But it has no
problem with mutating bindings in lexical scope, unlike Python.