[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: GUID algorithm

I remember that when Dan Weinreb did this for Statice he combined
three quantities:
 - the machine's serial number (you could also use the IP address of
   it's Ethernet card)
 - the current universal time down to the second
 - some of the digits of the current microsecond time, not including
   the highest or lowest order bits

He might have also included a few bits generated by a random number.
I don't recall how long the unique ID was; probably 128 bits.  I don't
think it was as few as 64 bits, even back in 1986!

If Dylan has no portable library for getting the universal and microsecond
time, we should take the opportunity to specify it.

The serial number/IP address, well, that might be a bit tougher, but I
don't see how you can be unique across machines unless you use something
like this.

<ron.franke-polz@psd.invensys.com> wrote in message
9pusgi$10t$1@news.netmar.com">news:9pusgi$10t$1@news.netmar.com...
> Any ideas on how to create a pure-dylan (no MS dll's) GUID algorithm?  I
keep
> running into situations where I need unique ID's and a GUID generator
would
> be very handy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron Franke-Polz