[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Implementing constraints (CLP)

dauclair@hotmail.com (Douglas M. Auclair) wrote
> I need to use the constraint idiom on a project I'm developing in
> Dylan.

[responding to myself]
I've managed to implement simple constraints for one variable

{ X <= 10, X >= 7 }, minimize(X).

This implementation is enough for the project, and I've managed to add
some nice (standard) features, such as extraneous constraint
elimination.

{ 0 <= X <= 1000, X =/= 100, X >= 10 }, minimize(X).
 becomes { 10 <= X <= 1000, X =/= 100 }, minimize(X).

I plan to pursue the implementation more fully:  I keep running into
problems to solve that fit nicely into the constraint logic
programming domain, and I prefer Dylan as my programming language on
the systems I build.

Neel Krishnaswami recommended
<http://www.cs.unh.edu/ccc/archive/constraints/archive/kumar.ps> which
is a nice survey of constraint problem solving (as well as a tutorial
on refining how to solve these problems efficiently).  I'll also look
at comp.constraints (at his recommendation). Others have also shared
their experiences in logic programming in (functional) Dylan.  Thanks
to all for the help.

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair