[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Distributing Dylan apps

In article
<Pine.GSO.4.21.0112131043530.3709-100000@godzilla.ce.chalmers.se>,
Robert Feldt <feldt@ce.chalmers.se> wrote:

> I'm running on a Win2K machine with Cygwin. What do I need to distribute
> together with my exe files produced by d2c to allow other, possibly
> non-cygwin/non-dylan users to run them? Will cygwin.dll be enough? Is
> there any way to make a fully stand-alone exe which need no other files?

If you use "d2c -s" (or --static) then your program will be statically
linked with all Dylan libraries, so you won't need to distribute it with
anything else.

At that point, if you need anything else it's because of Cygwin, which I
don't know anything about.  But the answer is the same as what you do to
distribute C or C++ programs.  On Linux you also need to add a
"linker-options: -Xlinker -Bstatic" line to the .lid file if you want
the C library linked in statically as well, but that's obviously
platform dependent and probably not necessary.

Since you're running on Windows, you should probably also go to
www.functional-objects.com and download their free personal edition and
give it a try.  It's got a nice IDE and debugger which we don't yet have
in Gwydion (and probably won't for a long time) and generates native
Windows programs.

The two implementations are fairly compatable and both Gwydion and Fun-O
want to eliminate remaining incompatabilities.  For example, we're quite
close to releasing a new version of d2c which can work with Fun-O's
"DUIM" GUI library.

-- Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: