[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Procedural macros?

Robert Feldt <feldt@ce.chalmers.se> writes:

> I saw the paragraph in DRM about procedural macros:
>
> "Some implementations and a future version of the Dylan language
> specification might allow macro expansions to be produced by compile-time
> computation using the full Dylan language and an object-oriented
> representation for programs. Such a "procedural macro" facility is not
> part of Dylan at this time."
>
> which is something I'm interested in. Has any work been done on that?

i've put a paper that Keith Playford and I wrote about this subject on
my website:

  www.jbot.org/Projects/dexprs.htm

the hard part for a language like dylan is figuring out how to extend
the compiler with user defined procedural macros.  in the paper, we
proposed a couple ideas neither of which were made available to users.
on the other hand, we used these procedural macro facilities to write
a large chunk of the compiler from parsing to optimization.

jonathan bachrach

Follow-Ups: References: