[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Lisp ?

> One instance where sealing really helps is arithmetics. Witness Java
> for a language that gives up it's OO approach for fast integers, and
> the problems this introduces.

Actually I believe Gosling said somewhere (in one of his many interviews)
that primitive types were added at the eleventh hour because of a perception
that "wrapped" number types couldn't possibly be fast. They did make all
such
types final, so they would probably concur with all the nice things you say
about sealing but they felt they had to heed that prejudice: at the time,
Java was still only a blink in their eye, not the juggernaut it is now,
and, who knows, that could have been the kiss of death.

I wonder how Integer vs. int etc affects memory footprint, though.

-- O.L.