Re: Gwydion & threads

> It isn't possible to use PThreads in Gwydion at this time. I think
> there's a problem with the way we represent objects in memory.
>
> Rather than using threads you could use Carbon Timers instead. You'd
> just need to structure your code as callbacks rather than as loops.

> What in particular do you need to do? Carbon apps are meant to be mostly
> callback- and timer-based so it should be possible to refactor most
> threaded code to run quite happily as a single-threaded Carbon
> application.

It's not that I have a particular need right now. It's just that with the
transition to Carbon I was looking forward to not having to structure
potentially long-running tasks as interruptible finite-state machines.

> Incidentally, Peter has upgraded Melange so it can handle the Carbon
> headers, which means we should soon have the complete Carbon API wrapped
> for Gwydion automatically. I just need to workaround some constant
> problems and avoid Points being passed by value in QuickDraw.

That's good. I worry that I'm biting off too much trying to come to grips
with Dylan, Carbon, and PostgreSQL all at once ;-)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe@killerbytes.com