Re: Dylan for Pythoneers?

On Friday, April 12, 2002, at 07:30 PM, Carl Gay wrote:

> "F. GEIGER" wrote:
>> Does anybody know of a link "Dylan for Python programmers" or anything
>> like
>> that? Are language comparisons available other than Dylan vs. Java?
>
> Not that I know of.

There's a "Dylan for Scheme Programmers" page. The Harlequin "Dylan
Programming" book (available from the Fun-O website or Amazon) has some
comparisons of C++ features to Dylan, as do some of the materials at the
Gwydion Dylan site (http://www.gwydiondylan.org).

> Maybe you can make some notes as you
> learn Dylan and write one!  (I should learn Python too,
> and make some notes.)

Dylan and Python does seem to be a popular combination.

> The Dylan User Interface Manager (DUIM, pronounced "dwim") is great
> for GUI programming on Windows.  There's no GUI builder,

I thought there was a toy GUI builder with the Fun-Dev demos?

> but frankly it works at a much higher level than, say, SWING,

SWING is over-engineered. DUIM is much more elegant and usable.

> There is work being done to port DUIM to Gwydion Dylan, so it will
> work on Unix.  I don't know exactly how far along it is but there's
> a screen shot of some DUIM windows on Unix floating around somewhere.

The DUIM GTk+ port, started by Fun-O, currently compiles on Gwydion
Dylan. It's included in the current release IIRC. The screenshots can be
found from the Gwydion site address given above.

A MacOS X Carbon DUIM is being worked on slooooowly. A screenshot is
available at http://www.robmyers.org/dylan . It's still many months from
completion but it's starting to look quite good.

- Rob.