Re: dylan revival

>> I suspect (totally without evidence) you'd be better of compiling to
>> Java bytecodes and using HotSpot.
>
> Sure, except that doesn't satisfy the stated goal of "a simple and
> lightweight [d2c] compiler." A similar possibilty would be to compile
> to either byte codes or Java source and use a highly optimizing native
> Java compiler.

The original post was about the Symbian OS and Nokia devices but since
it seems to have drifted, it is worth mentioning that are quite a few
Java implementations (usually compiled rather than interpreted) available
for portable devices. You need not even restrict yourself to a subset
of the full Java: the SavaJe OS implements the whole J2SE on the iPAQ
and is one of the few interpreted implementations. So if you could
compile Dylan to bytecodes at all, then it would run on that.

OTOH an implicit assumption in this thread seems to be (as in the quote
above)that the compiler itself should hosted on the portable device, which
is crazy unless I misunderstood the postings. You would cross-compile on
a different machine, of course. So the compiler need not be small.

-- O.L.