Re: are dylan macros Turing-complete?

Colin Walters <walters@verbum.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm doing a bit of research on the Dylan macro system, and I must say
> I've been very impressed!  It certainly seems to capture the vast
> majority of transformations that typical Lisp macros do, but in a
> clean and elegant fashion.

in keith playford and my paper:

  www.jbot.org/Projects/dexprs.pdf

we discuss (among other things) the limits of dylan's macro system,
which we call a rewrite rule only macro system, and propose one
extension, called template calls, that adds a significant amount of
expressiveness and clarity for certain macros (that would otherwise be
clumsy to write).

jonathan