Re: What?

Bruce Hoult <bruce@hoult.org> writes:

> ... somehow I'd always envisioned making d2c interactive by compiling
> interactive input into C, running the C compiler to make a DLL, and

That's harder to do than the interpreter.  Of course, doing it the goo
way is the next logical step, but it's not as straightforward as the
FER interpreter.  We wanted something that could realistically be
mostly done in a weekend, and besides that appreciated the opportunity
to gain a deeper understanding of the FER.  After all, what we
*really* want is a backend generator, that generates native backends
from a machine description.

> Interpretation seems like a step backwards?

It's a small step forward towards an interactive environment, one,
that we felt to be able to manage given the constraints.

Andreas

--
"In my eyes it is never a crime to steal knowledge. It is a good
theft. The pirate of knowledge is a good pirate."