Re: What?

On Sunday, August 11, 2002, at 11:15 PM, Rainer Joswig wrote:

> In article <bruce-8E0B11.09280612082002@copper.ipg.tsnz.net>,
>  Bruce Hoult <bruce@hoult.org> wrote:
>
>> In article <joswig-CDF2A4.13101611082002@news.fu-berlin.de>,
>>  Rainer Joswig <joswig@lispmachine.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hehe, I hear the Gwydion Dylan people are adding more Lisp stuff
>>> to Dylan.
>>
>> What are you thinking of here?
>
> Ask Andreas. He seems to have the plan. ;-)

Him bigfala chief blong Gwydion Dylan.

>>  I'm certainly interested in seeing if
>> there's anything that CL obviously does better than Dylan,
>
> Ah, there is so much - don't get me started.

If the Perl maxim is "There's more than one way to do it" then the Dylan
maxim is "You're quite welcome to your way of doing it, we really don't
mind, I'm sure we can learn from each other." :-)

> This is another example where I like Lisp syntax much better.

Please let's not go there. Infix and prefix both have strengths and
weaknesses, and if we all used the same punctuation as each other
there'd be a shortage.

> Anyway, the iteration ideas in Dylan are okay and useful.
> Previous attempts in Lisp were stuff like LOOP, ITERATE
> and SERIES - but they were pre-CLOS. I'm sure, CLOS-based
> iteration stuff exists in some libraries, but I have never
> seen them used widely.

Dylan's FIP is great, and I'm sure you're right. You could do
interesting things with iterators with a MOP.

- Rob.